Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Saving Money at the Laundromat

I know what most of you are thinking. How in the hell am I supposed to save money at the laundromat? The machine costs x amount of quarters and there is nothing I can do about it. Right? Well, sorta. Doing laundry at any laundromat is wicked expensive, but doing your laundry at a beach laundromat is even more hellish. Well, after having to do laundry at the beach laundromat for about two months now, I have learned a few tips on how to make my trip to the laundromat less expensive and less hellish.

Save your Quarters
I am a server, and every night I need to get "jingle" (change) in order to give my guests the correct amount of change. I started to get a collection of quarters, dimes and nickels, which for me come in handy, especially at the laundromat. After about four shifts, I manage to save about ten in quarters and then I don't have to dip into my precious dollar bills in order to get my clothes clean. How can you do this if you're not a server? When you're at a store ask for a dollar back in quarters. Instead of making exact change when you are buying something, collect the change.

Prioritize
Like I said before, I am a waitress. My uniform consists of a white button down long sleeve polo shirt. I HATE IT! My shirts never make it past one shift. So in order to do my laundry I have to work, and if I want to work I need to keep my white work shirts at the top of the laundry list, right? Right! But I can also save a little room for the wife beaters, the over the shoulder bolder holders, white socks and towels too. If I am careful I can wash a good amount of the most important things in one load.

Am I really getting 32 loads of my detergent?
Actually, after counting, no I am not. I get more like twelve, because I am greedy. Hence, why I am broke at the beach. ANYWAY, measure the detergent, its not that hard and I promise things come out just as clean if you use the recommended amount, rather than YOUR recommended amount. Just saying.

Wash the beach stuff last
Now, why would someone who lives right across the street from the beach put her beach duds last on the list? Because, I am not in my bikini all damn day like some tourist. I am in it for max three hours, getting a tan, or swimming in the ocean. All you need to do is rinse the bathing suit, or bikini, right after your done wearing it and hang it up. If I am not in my work uniform, I am in my beach duds (i.e. bikini, cover-up, and flip flops). Making my laundry list shorter and my days not as stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment